Our Wine Tasting Tours in Charlottesville, Virginia
To purchase a gift certificate for that someone special, click here!
Whether you want a leisurely afternoon of wine tasting with your special someone, are planning to shop and fill your wine rack, or just want to figure out what kinds of wine you like so you can order in a restaurant with confidence, Monticello Appellation Wine Tours has you covered with more than 13 years of touring experience in the Charlottesville Wine Country!
More than just transportation, the owners/guides of Monticello Appellation Wine Tours are ready to take you tasting at three wineries and escort you through your tastings. Three tour amenities are offered. All tours take you to three popular local wineries for tasting with pickup at 1pm, returning around 5pm.
1. The most popular tour amenity is the local deluxe cheese plate served by your guide at the second winery. The cheese plate offers a generous serving of local cheeses, local artisan chocolate, and fruit. This tour is available any day of the week at $145 per person.
2. The Food Pairing Tour offers cheeses with the first winery tasting, finger snacks with the second, and at the third winery consists of dessert samples from our favorite downtown bakery. This tour is offered Thursdays and Fridays when the wineries are less busy. Fee per guest is $165 per person
3. The picnic lunch is available any day of the week but Saturday. The lunch includes a small cheese plate appetizer, gourmet sandwich and kettle chips, and local bakery pastry dessert. This tour is $165 per person.
We regret we cannot include tasting fees as tour companies are not allowed to do so. The fees run $10 – $12 per person and all the wineries take credit cards.
All tours include plenty of chilled bottled water.
Tours book 2 -6 people per tour. Taste of Monticello does not book groups of more than 6. Tours are available 7 days a week.
Currently two routes are offered:
The Western Tour Route: Tour guides create an itinerary for every tour depending on wines available and weekend versus weekday tours from the following local wineries: Pollak Vineyards, King Family Vineyards, Grace Estate Winery, Stinson Vineyards, Cardinal Point Winery, Afton Mountain Winery, Knight’s Gambit and Veritas Vineyards.
The Southern Route: For this route, itineraries are selected for every tour depending on day of the week, and wines being poured from the following: Michael Shaps Wineworks, First Colony Winery, Trump Winery, Blenheim Vineyards, Jefferson Vineyards and Gabriele Rausse Winery.
Our daily tours include:
- Pickup and return to your Charlottesville address, B&B or hotel
- Driver/guide to assist you through your tastings
- Personalized Itinerary & Virginia Wineries Guide
- Chilled bottled water
- Deluxe plate of local cheeses, crackers, artisan chocolates, and fresh fruit
Lunch Package[Read Details…]
Add our beautiful gourmet picnic served by your tour guide. The lunch Package is $20 per person. The total cost of tour and lunch is $165 per person,
The lunch is available Sunday through Friday, and served at a winery indoors or out, depending on the weather, using upscale linens, silver, and heirloom china. No box lunches on our tours!
Included is chilled bottled water. Wine may be purchased at the winery.
Lunches include a cheese plate appetizer, hearty gourmet sandwich on a home-baked
roll, crunchy kettle chips, and a local freshly baked pastry for dessert.
Sandwich menu for the Western Tour:
- Devon – All-natural Roast Beef with Horseradish-chive Spread and Arugula on Focaccia
- Blue Slate – Smoked All-Natural Turkey Breast with Havarti cheese, Lettuce, Tomato, and Ancho Lime Mayo on Country Bread
- Chester – All-Natural Black Forest Ham with Provolone, Spicy-Sweet Mustard and Roasted Peppers on Focaccia, grilled
- Italian – Thinly sliced Sopressata and Genoa Salami with Provolone, diced Peppers, Lettuce and House-Made Italian Vinaigrette on Baguette
- Brahma – House-Made Curried Chicken Salad with Farmstead Ferments kraut, romaine and chutney raita on Whole Wheat Bread
- Landrance – Prosciutto, Roasted Tomatoes, Arugula and Fresh Mozzarella on Baguette (Also available as a Vegetarian Sandwich)
- Melrose – Roasted Portobello Mushrooms and Red Onions with House-Made Pimento Cheese and Arugula on Country Bread, grilled
- Berkshire – Roasted Double H Farm pork with pickled fennel, romaine and charred onion-miso mayo on ciabatta
- Cuban – Mortadella and Swiss with cornichons, hot peppers, pickled onions and roasted garlic mayo on a brioche bun
- Araucana – House-Made Farm-Fresh Egg Salad with Bacon and Local Tomato on Country Bread (Also available as a Vegetarian Sandwich)
- Vittoria – House-Made Eggplant Caponata and Hummus with Arugula on Focaccia
- Hampshire – Pulled Local Pork Barbecue with Coleslaw on Brioche Bun
- Wessex – Thinly Sliced Edwards’ Virginia Ham with Brie and House-Made Apple Chutney on Ciabatta
- Galloway – Pastrami and Swiss with Coarse Mustard and Coleslaw on Rye bread, grilled
- Riviera – House-Made Italian Tuna Salad with capers, roasted tomatoes and olive oil, with Mixed Greens on Country Bread
Sandwich menu for the Southern Tour:
- Jefferson – maple turkey cranberry, relish cheddar, lettuce, herb mayo, French bread
- Farmington – smoked turkey, bacon, havarti, slaw, lettuce, tomato, herb mayo, French bread
- Rivanna – cajun roast beef, provolone, bacon, onion, lettuce, tomato, BBQ vinaigrette
- Ednam – maple turkey, havarti, bacon, avocado, lettuce, tomato, herb mayo, French bread
- Montpelier – rare roast beef, cheddar, lettuce, tomato, horseradish mayo, French bread
- Belmont – peppered ham, salami, bologna, provolone, hot pepper relish, lettuce, tomato, onions, oregano, vinaigrette, French bread. **VERY SPICY**
- Keswick – Country ham, Swiss, honey mustard, lettuce, tomato, herb mayo
- Earlysville – sweet ham, turkey, smoked Gouda, bacon, lettuce, tomato, herb mayo, sourdough
- Birdwood – cracked pepper turkey, onion, pepper jack, avocado, banana peppers, lettuce, herb mayo, French bread
- Afton – corned beef, Swiss, cole slaw, brown mustard, rye bread
- Crozet – chicken salad, cranberry relish, Dijon mustard, lettuce, sourdough
- Batesville – Cajun roast beef, smoked gouda, lettuce, tomato, onion, brown mustard, horseradish mayo
- Walnut Creek – deli chicken, pepper jack, chipotle mayo, lettuce, tomato, whole grain ciabatta
- Vegetarian:Ivy – carrots, avocado, cucumbers, lettuce, tomato, sprouts, herb mayo, French bread
- Vegetarian:Yogaville – cheddar, havarti, Swiss, sprouts, cucumber, lettuce, tomato, herb mayo, French bread
Birthday Package[Read Details…]
For those who are doing a birthday tour, here is something you can order to make it extra special!
We offer a selection of elegant 6-inch birthday cakes from our FAVORITE bakery, Albemarle Baking Company. We’ll bring the box as well so you can take the remainder home for later!
The first is the white cake – layers of vanilla sponge with Bavarian cream Cake, iced with a marzipan frosting.
We also offer a chocolate cake – bottom layer of chocolate cake, then a layer of dark chocolate, white chocolate, and milk chocolate mousse, covered with a milk chocolate glaze. The price of this package is $40.
Monticello Appellation’s Wine Country Travelin’ Thru Package[Read Details…]
Driving through Charlottesville? Make your overnight stop a stay to remember! This tour is available any Sunday through Thursday.
For this package contact any of our Charlottesville B&Bs, Hotels or give us your location where you’re staying in Charlottesville. If you are booking a room at a B&B or Hotel be sure to ask if you can part your car at the site early, and that you are not there to check in early, just for us to pick you up for your wine tour.
Then book your tour at our secure site here.
Be sure to let your booking person know that you will be arriving earlier than check in time for us to pick you up for your wine tour so they can be ready for you. Your room will normally not be ready when we pick up for wine tours at 1pm as check in time usually starts at around 4pm. You will probably check in after the tour returns around 5 – 5:30pm.
Arrive at your location in Charlottesville before 1pm for your tour departure. We normally arrive at the pickup location by 12:45pm
Available 7 days a week depending on availability.
- Driver/guide to assist you during your tastings
- Deluxe local cheese plate and all expenses except tasting fees
- Plenty of bottled water
- Personalized itinerary
Your wine tour is booked through us at Monticello Appellation Wine Tours, not the B&B or hotel.
NEW!! Food Pairing Wine Tour
Monticello Appellation Wine Tours is excited to offer a unique tour not available by any other wine tour company in the area!
We have been touring guests since 2003 and have found that tour guests have evolved. They no longer wish to taste at as many wineries as possible. This drink and dash experience is getting “old”. Guests have been asking for something more relaxing – an experience where they can take the time to savor the different wines and really find the ones that they want to take home.
Wine is made to enjoy with food. There’s no doubt about that! So we have created a food-pairing wine tour we are offering on Thursdays and Fridays, when the wineries are not so busy and can accommodate this special kind of tour. The tour runs from 1pm to 5 – 5:30 depending on traffic.
At the first stop we have paired wonderful cheeses with every wine that is poured.
At the second stop we have paired different snacks with the wines.
The third stop we have local bakery pastry samples to enjoy with the wine.
Monticello Appellation Wine Tours, license # 217 and Arcady Vineyard Bed and Breakfast, LLC, , located in Charlottesville, Virginia, provides personalized tours of the area’s best wineries, and accommodations designed for wine lovers. Guests who book accommodations at The Clifton, Arcady Vineyard B&B, Inn at Monticello, and Inn at Court Square enjoy a 10% discount on wine tours.
Monticello Appellation Wine Tours
1493 Milton Road Charlottesville, VA 22902